Monday, May 4, 2020

All the projects belong to us

Was over at Completely Non Threatening's blog and noticed that he posted up two projects in one day.  Replaced a front door and replaced the beams in his house to raise the ceiling height.  Since he presumably didn't do those both in one day, I assume that he is taking advantage of the stay at home orders (although I think he's retired so I'm not sure what difference that makes).

That made me think that it might be interesting to see what I have accomplished while staying at home.

For the record, I hate my job now that I have to stay at home.  One thing I have discovered about myself is that I am not a good candidate for "work from  home".  I get bored and can't get stuff done; I find myself constantly checking to see if there are any updates from my students that need to be dealt with; I find myself working like mad to get home projects done and neglecting everything else.   That being said, I have got a bunch of projects either done or mostly done pending some sort of weird next step, even if it has been at the expense of my students.  So here's a list with snaps:

1) Drainage (still need to level out some ground and pour concrete into adjacent patio)



2) Road King engine (struggling to get it to crank with compression and I'm thinking I may have a ground cable issue)



3) trailer rebuilds (two trailers, one of which has been idle for about fifteen years, one of which was bequeathed to me by a former roommate but which needed repairs.  Done but for pulling wires on the old trailer and possibly replacing one leaking down wheel, which I have to do a cost benefit analysis)

FWIW pic is of old trailer before I did anything



Projects I'm thinking about:

1) Tear down plaster in kitchen to see if leakage is still happening from upstairs bathroom, which would be gross



2) Install baseboard quarter round trim in all rooms in which I've redone the floors but haven't quite finished the project because I have to paint and cut every piece of trim

3) Get the 1989 CBR600F carburetors put back together one more time (5 and counting including sending them out to a Texas company to whom I paid a lot of money and then they came back poorly done (to be charitable)) and see if it will run


4) Buy a decent table saw and rip some spacers so that I can install door trim around three door sides in my antique house in which everything is non-standard size


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the record, I retired twice, and still have a job. I'm a government employee and been "working from home" for almost 2 months now. I wish I were more productive. But actually I spend too much time driving to Lowes and mcdonalds. And lots of games. Netflix, and just generally goofing off.

--generic

Anonymous said...

Addendum: I also moved my hot tub. All alone. Emptied it, then hooked up the harbor freight block and tackle with longer harbor freight rope. Using a long handled spade as a lever, I lift an edge of the tub and roll a section of 2" ABS plastic pipe under it as a roller. Then... pull. And push... and shove. And pull some more. and then refill it and let it warm up.

-generic

Anonymous said...

And installed lights in my attic.

Anonymous said...

Re: CBR600. I mostly do all my own work. When I pay someone, it's because I expect them to bring serious skill to the table. Sadly, I have learned that so many "skilled experts" are just faking it, and charging me a premium.

heresolong said...

Even more impressive than he admits on his own blog. Wish I had that energy. :-)

Anonymous said...

It would be fun to have a carburetor to work on. As it is, I only have one car. So I have to plan work carefully so that I can put it back together and drive it quickly.

John Wilder said...

Hmmm, "I did a load of laundry."

Now feeling guilty.

Anonymous said...

Did you fold it?

John Wilder said...

No. I stuffed it in the drawer after The Mrs. folded it.

heresolong said...

Just out of curiosity,

"drive it quickly."

Do you need to put it back together to "drive it quickly" on occasion or do you need to "quickly drive it"?

heresolong said...

^^^ Yes, it's true. I am sort of a butt-head. :-)

Anonymous said...

If I get hungry, and I get hungry 3 times a day, I will need to drive it to mcds... quickly.