Tuesday, December 15, 2020

The house I think I want

 Been thinking about property and building a house for retirement.  Not looking for a McMansion, just something comfortable that fits my tastes and lifestyle.

Looked at Barn Pros kits.  They come in various sizes and styles.  The downstairs is a barn or a shop (mine would be the latter), the upstairs is your residence.  They look nice and are relatively inexpensive although I'm sure the devil is in the details, as in any project.  They look a lot bigger than they are since the whole lower level is shop but have lots of living room.


Stumbled across this the other day though, and boy did it strike a chord.




This is the house I want.  Unfortunately I can no longer call Sears with my credit card and get it coming for $3,176 (plus optional upgrades) but I figure there has to be someone, somewhere who can take a set of plans and build a house.  Or for that matter, sell you a set of plans based on the design since it's now been around for a hundred years of so.

Then, the other day, I was driving out to my sister's and saw this:


  

That's the house.  Unfortunately this particular one is right next to a busy highway and connected to a large and working farm, so it isn't my house, but it is the house.

I wonder if the plans are on file with the county.








4 comments:

John Wilder said...

Nice! Better for cold climates, because heat goes up.

heresolong said...

My plan is to be in a cold climate. Possibly even in one colder than where I am, which is more rainy than cold. But it will be a dry cold. 😂

Anonymous said...

I live in that house. Built in 1914 as close as I can come as it is chalked on a very large beam in attic. Going up for sale in late spring this year I hope. Was on track for spring 2020 but you know, covid. Lived in this for 20 years but too large now for just me.

NotClauswitz said...

It looks like a ranch built on top of a dug-back garage, so two level but only one is really living space - I think it’s a very cool design, Anonymous should be proud. Not sure I could afford it but pretty amazing.