Sunday, December 26, 2021

Boxing Day traditions (and their loss)

 A post over at Instapundit, and a comment I left.  I thought it would go well here.

For background, Boxing Day in Great Britain was (and is) the day after Christmas.  There are all sorts of tales surrounding it but generally they revolve around the staff getting the day off after having had to work Christmas and/or the gentry boxing up leftovers from Christmas to take to the indigent.  In Canada we did the following (quote from my comment referenced above):

For about forty years was celebrated at my friend's parents' house. Several hundred guests who would arrive and leave over the course of about ten hours. Copious quantities of food and drink. The kids (us) would get there at the beginning and hang out til the end. My friend's parents have passed away and the tradition went with them. For a decade or so was celebrated at my parents' house. All the kids, aunts and uncles, and cousins in the area would arrive about 1 pm or so and leave about 5 pm or so. My parents stopped doing it about four years ago when my mother could no longer handle the high activity level; plus most of the kids and cousins have moved away. The tradition has gone and none of the remaining kids seem inclined to restart it or take over. Seems to me that the current generation, myself included, seems to have lost interest in family. As the oldest male child I should be stepping up but I struggle to find the enthusiasm. Add to that the fact that I and one sister are childless and one brother has moved away with his family, the "get-to-gether" would just be me and the sister I see all the time anyway. Sad really. These parties stand out in my mind as highlights of my childhood and teen years.

No comments: