Thursday, September 22, 2022

Belts for sale

 

My Taekwon Do school closed their doors in the local area when covid hit.  Wasn't their fault initially, the YMCA they used decided not to renew their lease.  The school is still around, just not my bit of it.  End result, no organized workout for two and a half years.  So as much as I hate to move to a different school, I thought I'd start looking.

Local chain looks good.  They have a dojo in my town making it convenient.  Talked to one of the instructors and he said something that set of a bit of an alarm bell.  "It takes about three years to get a black belt".  For the record, I have a black belt.  Been studying for about twelve years with a couple interludes caused by a motorcycle accident and later a herniated back disc.  I can't see anyone who doesn't study seven days a week getting a black belt in three years.  So still a possibility but a bit of a red flag.

The other day I was working out over in the school gym and a student walked by.  Quote: "I used to do Taekwon Do.  Did it at school mentioned above.  Did it for three years.  Got my black belt."  Said kid is 12 or 13 years old.

Setting aside the idea of giving children black belts, it is pretty clear to me that this school is giving out belts for time spent, not giving out belts because students have earned them.  So I guess I won't be going to that school to continue my studies.

No comments: