Saturday, December 16, 2023

Oughts, A tribute to E.B. White

Christmas break officially started yesterday.  So I ought to get my Christmas decorations up now that I have time.  I'll need to unpack some containers onto the dining room table so I ought to clear that off.  While I'm taking care of the contents of the table I ought to solder that power wire that goes to the Empire Troubador turntable as it's been sitting there for quite some time and then the turntable would finally be useable.  I need to pop into town to pick up Christmas tree but I ought to clear the front porch first to make room for that tree.  Some of the furniture will need to be moved into the shed, so I'll need to clear out the shed a bit first.  I should call a couple people who wanted some of the sewing machines and cabinets in the shed and then they could pick them up, making more room in the shed.  I should pull out the Singer 306 from the back of the shed and see what parts it needs to put it in good running order, since I'll be out there organizing and moving anyway.  If I'm working on the front porch, today would be a good day to do a little maintenance so I ought to put linseed oil on the two cabinets that are sitting out there exposed to the sunlight.  I also ought to see if there's a place in town that does paper shredding so then I could take the bin of old documents and drop it off to be shredded.

I ought to stop by the neighbor's and see if he remembered to bring that saw blade home with him that I need to finish the pergola center post, and if he did I ought to install that post, the cross beams, and the lattice, so that the pergola will be usable this winter.  I ought to stop by the hardware store and see if they have burner elements for the stand heater, because otherwise it will be too cold in the pergola to use it this winter.

I ought to clean out the garden beds and spread the bags of manure that are stacked back by the garage, and that might be a good time to turn the compost pile.  If I'm turning the compost pile, I probably ought to rake up the rest of the leaves and windfall apples and add them to the pile.  Since the step ladder will be out for the Christmas lights I ought to get up into the apple trees to trim down some of the upper branches. 

I probably ought to either throw away or bag up and store the packing materials and boxes that are sitting on my kitchen floor.

I ought to clean out the guest room which has become full of piles of stuff.  Some of those things are sewing machine waiting to be displayed so I ought to set up the ladder shelf I bought.  I think that will best fit in the upstairs hall where the old dresser that holds towels and sheets is currently sitting so I ought to find a place to put towels and sheets.  I ought to take the old pile of towels and sheets and either donate them or throw them away.  I should also bind the manuals and books that I have piled here so that they can be put away which would allow me to put away the binding machine which is taking up space on the workbench in the guest room, then I probably ought to put that Singer 66 back together.  If it were back together it could go back into it's treadle cabinet which is in the shed, then I should call the individual that wanted a Singer 66 Redeye treadle so that he can come pick it up.

Today I ought to print out raffle tickets for the veterans raffle.  I'll need to get more raffle tickets so perhaps I can do that while I am in town getting the Christmas tree.  Glancing over at the printer I notice that there's a pile of receipts by it that need to be filed so I ought to file them.

If I'm going to run to town I ought to package up these clock keys that need to be returned so that I can drop them off at the FedEx place.  I ought to call the fellow I talked to yesterday at the record store about meeting up to give him $20 and pick up the Sugar album he is getting rid of.

With the ground soft after the rains we've had I ought to dig a trench out next to the front walk to install the wiring for a lamppost down by the street.

I ought to call my parents and see if they want to have supper tonight so that we can eat the turkey soup I made.  

Well, I've been sitting her at the computer for a while and getting a bit tired.  Perhaps it's time to sit and read for a while.  Maybe listen to my latest Blind Willie McTell acquisition.


Update: I accidentally attributed it to C.S. Lewis, not E.B. White

No comments: