Saturday, August 3, 2024

The new hotness

 So the other day I was at an Indian Motorcycle dealership.  Not because I was buying an Indian Motorcycle but because my buddy was picking up his new bike.  While I waited for them to explain everything on the bike to him (the instructions for operating a new Indian motorcycle are somewhat longer than the operating manuals for the nuclear reactor plant on a Nimitz class carrier) I wandered.  Salesman asked if I was looking for a new bike and when I replied in the negative, because I already had four bikes, we struck up a conversation.  The topic turned to my four bikes, one of which is a 1989 Honda CBR600F (nee Hurricane although Honda abandoned that name in 1989 after two years, ostensibly for insurance reasons).  The salesman suggested that he had something interesting out back if I wanted to take a walk.

Enter three Honda CBR600F models, a 1988, a 1989, and a 1990.  All of them imported from the UK, none of them Hurricanes because Honda only marketed the bike under that name in the US.  All three were red and black and each year had a slightly different paint scheme.  The salesperson, who probably should qualify for salesman of the year, asked if I'd like to make an offer.  Apparently they'd been sitting at the dealership for three years, non-running.  Any offers considered.  I hate making offers so I didn't really say much, at which point he suggested $500 for one.  When I assented he upped the ante to $1,000 for two.  How could I refuse?

The next morning we loaded them into the back of my buddy's pickup truck and headed towards my house.  I'd been going to run back down in a week or two with my truck but he offered so it worked out nicely.  We got them home and I was the proud owner of the 1988 (left and front respectively) and the 1990 (right and rear) bikes. 













Cut to the next couple weeks.  I decided to focus on one bike at a time.  Bought a new battery and a can of ethanol free gasoline.  1990 bike fires up, but barely.  Stumbles a lot, can get it to rev but not smoothly or consistently.  Took it for a bit of a ride but it wasn't running well so off came the carbs.




Carbs amazingly clean.  I assume that since the bikes were being shipped from the UK that the tanks and the carbs were properly drained.  The pilot jets were clogged, however.

Enter three different cleaners, the last being Amsoil PI fuel system cleaner.  Four clean pilot jets, reassemble carbs, bike fires up and off we go for a ride.



I have now put about 80 miles on the bike and got to admit, I'm having more fun than should be allowed.  The titles arrived in the mail (I had concerns as Honda Motorcycle USA is a bit sticky about sending out compliance letters, and by a bit sticky I mean that they absolutely refuse to do so) but the dealership had assured me there would be no problem, and there was no problem.  I'm headed out of town for a couple weeks but when I get back it'll be a second battery and another carb cleaning.


I am, however, now curious about the third bike, the one I didn't buy.  I was under the impression that it was a 1989 but looking back at the pictures the body style more resembles the F2, which was made from 1991 to 1994.  Look at the vents in the little side fairing down by the knee and the way the windshield swoops back past the mirrors.  Maybe once I get one of the current stable sold I'll swing back by the Indian dealership and see if it's still sitting there.  You never know.  Meanwhile, though, I don't have any room for it as there are currently six bikes in my (small, built in 1909, one car) garage with another for sale down at the local motorcycle shop.  



One of these bikes will be staying in my stable but not sure which one.  The 1990 which I have running is a blast to ride but I think that maybe I like the paint job on the 1988 better.  We'll have to see.

And here's a quick shot of the '88 in situ, just to round out the pictures.





1 comment: