Monday, September 12, 2011

Everybody Loves Waffles

Well, Brigid reminded me of how much I love waffles today. I went on a low carb diet regimen about two years ago, it's worked nicely both weight-wise and health-wise but I don't get waffles very much. So instead I am going to tell you all about the antique waffle iron "collection" I inadvertently stumbled into.

First, when in college, my mother gave me my grandmother's old waffle iron, a Universal 9324A manufactured in the mid to late 20s. Beautifully designed, decorated with scrollwork,


I loved it so much that my roommates found me a comic to commemorate my love (or to make fun of me, still not totally sure).


That was on or about 1987. A few years ago I was in Anacortes at a flea market. I had ridden down with some friends and we were in full leathers including back patches. On a table marked "Free, Everything Works" was antique waffle iron number two. Sunbeam W2A (Late 40s to mid 50s). Off I go, waffle iron under one arm.


Later at that same market, chatting with a lady who has a Homelectrics 1703 (Late 20s to early 30s) for sale.


Obviously I don't want it as I already have two antique waffle irons. Until she says I can have it if I want as she is no longer going to do flea markets. Waffle iron number three has just created an instant and official "collection".

Fast forward a couple months, I am joking with my family about my "collection" and my aunt mentions that she has Auntie's (our great aunt Mary who we all called Auntie) waffle iron from Maryhome (her house in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire) packed in a box and I can have it if I want. Well of course I do. Enter Electrahot 148 (Early 30s).


It's official. I actually have an excessive number of waffle irons posing as a collection. Well, might as well make it official. Onto amazon.com to order a copy of Antique Electric Waffle Irons, 1900 - 1960 by William F. George.

The best part, I can make enough waffles for the whole family without anyone having to wait at all. Too bad I'm single.

No comments: