Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Motorcycle tires

Turns out it's not that easy.

"What?"  you say.  "What's not that easy?"

Why, buying motorcycle tires, of course.  Oh, did I forget to mention...

I have a 1989 Honda CBR600F which needs tires.  I haven't had to buy tires for one of these since 1991 or so, but this one has been sitting for about ten years or more and has sidewall cracks the size of the Grand Canyon.  I've ridden it a few times since I finally got it running, but slowly and with trepidation.

So decided to get new tires.

Except that it wears a 130/80 17 on the rear wheel.  Why does that matter, you might ask?  Well, it's a super skinny tire for a sport bike and no one uses them anymore.  So, manufacturers pretty much don't make them any more.  Makes for an interesting research exercise.  Goes something like this:

Q: What are the best tires on the market for the type of riding I do?
A: Brand C, model S

Q: Are they available in the size I need?
A: No.

Q: What are the second best tires on the market for the type of riding I do?
A: Brand B, model T

Q: Are they available in the size I need?
A: No.

Q: What are the ...

... oh screw this, I'm bored, I'll look some more later this week.  Finally you call up a guy at a motorcycle shop and ask what they sell that will fit your bike and live with it.  That's how you get crap tires, however, and since a set costs in excess of $300 you can't afford to just stick them on and hope.

So I'm not going to go there.  Instead I'm going to look for the third best tires on the market for the type of riding I do and just keep my fingers crossed.

Or I suppose I could buy a bigger rear wheel and get the ones I really want.  Hmmm.

Edit: Decision made. Bridgestone Battleax BT-45. Reasonably inexpensive, good running tires, good reputation, and they come in 110/80 and 140/70 so should fit OK.

No comments: