Monday, May 27, 2013

Musings

Enchiladas in the oven. Green sauce, chicken enchiladas. My favorite. 12 more minutes so figured I'd quickly get down some stuff from the past couple weeks. 

Listening to Train's latest, California 37 , in my classroom. Student observes that this is the first time he's heard me playing anything later than 2000. I tactfully don't tell him that Train had their first hit (Meet Virginia) in 1998 when he was one year old. (I am know for my tact throughout my extended family. In fact, if they forget my name they just say "the tactful one" and everyone knows they mean me). Thinking about his comment, however, I realize that I don't buy nearly as much music as I used to. I have about 14,000 songs on my ipod so I guess I just don't feel the need to get more at the same rate. (Or maybe today's music is crap and I don't get how these young kids can listen to this noise). Just kidding, of course. Lot's of good stuff out there.

Speaking of good stuff, here's some that isn't so much. Listened to some music by Alexisonfire the other day. Great name, but good grief. The lead singer (and I use the word loosely) mostly just screams. The one song I heard was interesting (which is why I went looking for more), but then when I went to listen to the more it got old reeaal fast. Oh well, to each their own.

Jonesing to get out of town about now. Three weeks left in school, fifteen days to go. I really want to be somewhere else right now. Been to Portland twice in the last couple months on the bike, once in the pouring rain, once in the bright sunshine, plus went camping in Wenatchee last weekend.

Oh yeah, Wenatchee camping. Rained most of the way there, howling gales while we were there, rained part of the way back, had a great time. Good company, tons of excellent food, good riding (if you remember that I missed most of last summer and it's been a cold winter that makes more sense). It was some of the folks from OCDO, a campout that has become an annual event. My first but will definitely return. Rode Highway 2 over Stephen's Pass and what a nice ride, even in the rain. Waterfalls, fog, trees, vistas, then dropping down into Leavenworth by the river which is scenic enough to be dangerously distracting. Saturday took off for a little ride up through Chelan on the west side of the Columbia, crossed over north of Chelan and came back down the east side (a side I've ridden more than once as that becomes Highway 2 down towards Wenatchee). It was tempting to turn left and head east across country but I am responsible (and all my camping gear was back in Wenatchee).

Picked up some nice new items for motorcycle camping. I think I'll make that its own blog post.

Well, enchiladas are ready and I have to do some grading so I'll hit the camping gear highlights tomorrow.

No comments: