Thursday, November 28, 2013

Hot Buttered Heaven

Years ago I had some concoction that purported to be Hot Buttered Rum Flavored.  It was disgusting.  I've never had any inclination to try again until just recently when The Art of Manliness posted an article about holiday drinks.  The first one was hot buttered rum and I decided to give it a shot.

Here's the batter recipe:

4 oz unsalted butter (I used Kerrygold, an Irish butter that was recommended by the author)
1 cup brown sugar*
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp salt
Mash this all together and roll it into a log in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate until needed.

Heat about 8 oz apple cider almost to boiling, add to two tablespoons of batter, stir until dissolved, and add about an ounce and a half of dark rum.

Heaven in a glass.  Perfect for a cold winter's night.


*oh dear, I have a vague recollection of putting in two.  I must have misread the recipe

No comments: