Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Movie review Tuesday

See how it just keeps changing?  Keeping you intellectually off balance to help you deal with your pre-conceptions. 

Not really, just a bit of fluff for a Tuesday morning.  I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy last weekend.  I didn't really enjoy it.  I don't read comics anymore and haven't for years.  I don't know the characters in this particular series and was completely lost as to who these people (and raccoon) were and why they were doing what they were doing.  After the movie was over and I had a better sense of what was going on, I then understood what had happened during the first half of the movie, but during the first half I was bored. 

I don't like it when studios make movies that assume you have background that not every moviegoer has.  Of course this doesn't apply to sequels or trilogy type movies, but GotG was not advertised as a sequel, it was just presented as a stand-alone.

It wasn't all bad.  Lots of good action and humor.  The raccoon was very funny and the dialogue between the characters well done.  Worth seeing, I guess, so long as keep in mind that it is going to develop.

The Bechtloff loved it.  So did Captain Capitalism.  So maybe don't take my word for it but remember that if you don't have any background in the characters it is going to take a while before it makes sense.  I'll see it again when it comes out on DVD and maybe I'll enjoy it more now that I know what is going on.

No comments: