Sunday, November 9, 2014

Harmonica versus the cats

I thought I might start trying to learn the harmonica again.  Tried years ago, pre--widespread-content loaded internet, and found that I just didn't have the motivation when I had no idea what it was supposed to sound like.  I had picked up a couple books including one by Jon Gindick and it just wasn't working out.  I got onto his email list, however, and get emails from him a couple times a year.

Yesterday I got a link to a youTube video of his and found that he has created these videos where he plays guitar and harmonica accompaniment, overlaid with the notes that he is playing.  Pretty cool.  I pulled out one of the C harmonicas that I bought all those years ago and started working on the tune that he is playing, Trouble in Mind, an old blues standard.  Immediately ran into a snag.

My cats appear to hate it.

The second I start playing they run into the room, jump on my lap, and meow at me until I stop. 

At which point they jump down and leave.

Or maybe they like it and want to sing along, but I lean towards the first.

Oh well.  They'll just have to get used to it.  It really is funny, though.  I wonder if I could set up a camera to get a recording of them doing this.  Stand by.

No comments: