Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Did he really say that?

I didn't listen to the State of the Union speech this year.  Actually I never listen.  I don't care.  I don't think it should even be given in front of Congress.  If I were president I'd write it out and mail it over.  There is no Constitutional requirement that it be delivered in person.

I have heard some analysis, however.  Other than the plethora of outright lies and the promises of more and more government meddling in our lives (read my blog if you want to know what I think about government interference in what free peoples choose to do with their lives) this struck me.

My only agenda for the next two years is the same as the one I've had since the day I swore an oath on the steps of this Capitol -- to do what I believe is best for America.
I assume that he meant that he has an agenda to do what he believes is best, not that he swore an oath to do what he believes is best, but really?  Couldn't someone who is supposed to be as great an orator as he is come up with something slightly less vaguely offensive?  I took a similar oath, and mine included the words "to support and defend the Constitution".  His says "to preserve, protect, and defend".  Basically the same thing.  So why would you put something in a speech that suggests that you swore and oath to do what you believe is best for American.  That's not particularly statesmanlike. 

Oh well.  If you want to hear great speeches, go to Youtube and type in Ronald Reagan.  There was a guy who knew how to give a speech.  Here's A Time for Choosing, his speech from 1964.

Oh, and before you get snarky about him being an actor, he wrote or heavily edited almost every speech he ever gave.

No comments: