Sunday, January 10, 2016

My German skills are rusty

Glogg is the name for mulled wine in the Nordic countries.  Spices, wine, sometimes sugar or fruit juice, it is served hot in the winter.  In Germany and Austria it is called Gluhwein.

My sister got me a bottle of SAF-T-GLOGG from Ikea.  No wine, just fruit juice and spices.

I thought it was really weird that they would call it "Safety Glogg" just because it had no alcohol, and even weirder that they would use the SAF-T abbreviation.

Then my sister reminded me.

Saft = juice in Swedish as in German.

Mulled Juice.

That makes so much more sense.  Mine is funnier though.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your random blog. I bought a bottle of this at an Ikea in China. As the company had put a label over the English I couldn't figure out if it was alcohol free or actual wine. Thanks for the help!