Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Range test, 45ACP

Picked up a Springfield 1911 Loaded a bit ago.  Really enjoy shooting it and it's an easy carry.  Been picking up a box here and a box there to build up my ammo supplies and thought I'd try a range day to see if any of them were noticeably better.

Four types of ammunition, all 230 grain, all JHP except for the Federal HST.  Sig Sauer, Winchester White Box, Speer Lawman, and Federal HST +P.




So the one on the left is a single magazine of each type, offhand, mostly for practice not for testing. The one on the right is two of each, two handed. As you can see the Sig Sauer (bottom right) is significantly more scattered than all the rest. I wasn't expecting that to be honest. I'd have assumed that Sig would be making high quality ammo. The other three seem to be about the same (if you ignore the low 3 o'clock of the Federal, that was me).

The only problem I had with any of them was that one of my magazines (the unmarked one) wouldn't fully chamber the first round every single time. I use the slide release which some say can be problematic, but I had no issues with the three other magazines (1 Colt, 2 Wilson Combat) so I suspect the magazine. It is out of the rotation.

Stand by for more later when I compare my Ruger KP345 to my Springfield 1911.

No comments: