Monday, June 25, 2018

The stress that accompanies free

I've been thinking about getting another dog.

Brutus, half wolf, half Samoyed, was awesome. He also died about fourteen years ago at age 15.  I've never seriously considered another dog for a variety of reasons including:

  • scooping dog poo
  • walking dog in all kinds of weather
  • traveling on the Harley and having to deal with a dog
Recently, however, the idea has resurface.  Not sure why, just has.  Maybe I thought I might take more walks, maybe I have visited friends who seem to be enjoying their dogs, maybe the fact that the right dog can be a chick magnet (deleted for being politically incorrect), who knows.

So I called a customer who has two herder breed dogs.  Didn't know exactly what but they are friendly and trainable.  I needed to know what breed so that I could do some research.  Here's the conversation:

Me: What breed are your dogs?
Customer: Australian shepherds, why, do you want one of them?
Me: Well, I was just thinking...
Customer: Because they are brothers from the same litter and they are driving me crazy. They won't listen when they are together even though they are perfectly trained and obedient when apart.
Me: Well, I am a bit worried because I travel a lot...
Customer: You could drop him off here when you travel.  I'd be happy to look after him.  Which one do you want?

Gak!

I went from "thinking about" to having to make a decision.  And every caveat that I threw out was immediately countered with a rational argument as to why I should take one of her dogs.

Now I am completely stressed out.  Even though I'm sure that wasn't her intention.

Stock photo of Australian Shepherd from archives (aka Wikipedia)

Redtriaussie01.jpg

1 comment:

Ame said...

dogs have superpowers :)

it's amazing the power they have over us, how they calm us and make us better. but the anxiety in 'replacing' a dog is real. and when we 'replaced' our last dog, it took me some time to adjust to our 'new' one. now i can't imagine life without her.

oh ... and you can always get a sidecar for your bike for your dog!
https://tonsplace.wordpress.com/2017/04/15/easy-rider-30-days-in-the-wind-and-under-the-sky/