Sunday, September 2, 2018

But who are they?

Saw a reference to the Initiative on Global Markets in a blog comment somewhere.  The poster was referencing some article on the site in support of a particular viewpoint.  Don't remember what the viewpoint was, not sure if I was on his side or the other side, but it made me wonder, having never heard of the IGM, what and who they were.

Short version, lots of economists from around the world.  Over 90 (which presumably means fewer than 100) from Europe and the United States are routinely polled on various economic issues.

My question, however, is from what schools of economics?  I suppose  you could poll 90 Keynesians and get a completely different result than if you polled 90 Frankfurt School or 90 Chicago School economists.  I dug for a while on the site but not being up to speed on the backgrounds of various economists in the Western world, I wasn't able to come to any conclusion.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there.  Just because a whole bunch of people generally agree on something doesn't mean that they are right, just that they agree.

1 comment:

Ann said...

my first husband was brilliant in all areas of business/finance/economics. he's always say to me, "It's all in how you ask the question." meaning ... you can get any result you want depending on how you ask the question. i've never looked at data the same since ... meaning, i don't really believe any of it b/c it only proves what someone wanted it to prove.