Monday, December 31, 2018

Downloading Kindle and Nook books

They are your books.  You bought them.  Why do Amazon and Barnes & Noble not allow you to download them or read them in anything other than their reader?  What gives them the right to change or discontinue  your access to the books you bought?  What happens if either company removes support for old books?  These are not idle questions.  Music and books that people have purchased have been removed from various platforms for various reasons.  Companies that sold electronic files have gone out of business. 

I also want to be able to read all my books on my Nook.  I don't like reading on a tablet since the screen glare and refresh rate is not conducive to comfortable long term reading.  I like e-ink.  I also don't want to buy a Kindle because I already have a Nook.  It make no sense to me to have to buy a different e-reader for each company that wants to sell me books.

Consequently I choose to keep my stuff on my computer and convert it as needed to the format I want, which is epub for the Nook.

Here's a quick guide to keeping your own stuff.

1. What you will need (this will, of course, depend on what kind of books you have bought):

2. The process for Nook
  • Install calibre.  Straightforward and easy.
  • Install Nook for PC, synchronize your library by signing in, then mouse over books and choose "Download".  You have to do this for each individual book.  The files will be found in Documents/My Barnes &Noble eBooks
  • In calibre, install DeDRM tools by following the directions at:
  • Import books just like you normally would.  Calibre will deal with the details and you will have epub files that can be converted if you need to. 
3. The process for Kindle
  • Install calibre.
  • Install Kindle for PC (old version that you downloaded).  If it asks if you want to update to the latest version choose "No".  Go into the settings and choose NOT to automatically download updates.
  • Here's the tricky part.  You have two choices now.
    • Option 1) what I did. Stop Kindle for PC from downloading your files in .kfx format. 
      • open a command window by typing "command" in your start/run box
      • change directories to the Kindle directory using the cd command (you are now working in DOS)
        • Example: cd.. will take you up one directory
        • cd  AppData will take you down into the AppData directory.  Be aware that this stuff is case sensitive.
        • When you open the command window you should be in directory c:\Users\Your Name
        • You want to dive down in the following order
          • cd AppData
          • cd Local
          • cd Amazon
          • cd Kindle
          • cd application
        • You will now type ren renderer-test.exe renderer-test.xxx
        • If you get an error you are in the wrong directory (check using your file explorer that the folder you went to using the cd command actually has a program called renderer-test.exe.
        • If you don't get an error but it just shows the command line again, then it worked.  It will look like nothing happened but that's normal.  You didn't tell it to tell you anything, just to run the command.  (PS If you have successfully run this program, welcome to how we used to have to do computer stuff for everything we wanted to do, pre-Windows 3.0 which came out in 1989.
    • Option 2) What I didn't so I can't walk you through the process. Let DeDRM deal with .kfx formats . If you want to play with the kfx fix, go to this link https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291290
  • Finally, you can open Kindle for PC, click on each book you want to download, and choose download.  The downloaded files will be found in Documents/My Kindle Content.  Each book will be in it's own folder and the folder will be titled something like B001EQ5216_EBOK
  • To import them to Calibre, select "Add book, one book per directory" and then choose one of the folders.  
  • Now you can convert them to any format you want, which in my case is epub so that I can read my books on my Nook.
Enjoy.  If anything here is unclear, or if it isn't working for you, please leave a note in the comments and I'll try to help, with the caveat that I am not a computer whiz, just a guy who's been figuring out his own stuff for  forty years or so on computers.

No comments: