Tuesday, February 12, 2019

No more playing, and I mean it

Daycare center removing swing-sets to "boost" test scores.

What?

Apparently my state penalizes day cares financially if children spend more than 15 minutes per day on the swings.

The?

https://letgrow.org/day-care-removes-swings-so-kids-wont-be-tempted-to-play-instead-of-study/

What?

Here's the state website for the program:

https://www.dcyf.wa.gov/services/earlylearning-childcare/early-achievers

I can't find any specifics on what the requirements are to be an Early Achiever Day Care facility although there are all sorts of links with generic information.  I assume that if you want to open a certified facility and get the cash from the state they will provide you with more information. 

Never mind all the studies that say kids learn better after engaging in physical activity.  Never mind the fact that physical activity in a group setting is learning including finding your limits, negotiation, cooperation, etc.

Gah!  Every time I think that society might be salvageable another article like this comes along and I lose all hope again.


No comments: