Saturday, March 9, 2019

Endeavor - Morse

Watched Endeavor, the Morse prequel, having never seen an episode of Inspector Morse.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next season.  I will admit to a bit of wistfulness.  Sixties Oxford set.  I was born in 1964, grew up in Vancouver, Canada, lived in Cambridge for a year in the mid seventies.  I remember fondly the small town feel of Vancouver, even though it was a small city at the time, and I remember England as a country of small villages and medium towns.  We didn't spend much time in the cities except for touring museums, cathedrals, etc and I have little recollection of city.  Vancouver has grown to a big city and when I visit it doesn't feel like home.  The Oxford shown in Endeavor is the kind of place that I would want to live.  I know, it's a TV show and romanticized somewhat.  Still.

Then I started watching Inspector Morse.  Set in the late eighties or early nineties.  I suspect the latter based on the police cars that they are driving.  Not only is the tone not nearly as English countryside and village as the first, I am having trouble reconciling the character of Morse with the younger version from the prequel.  I suspect that it wouldn't have been as bad going backwards.  You get used to the older character, then you see what he was like twenty five years earlier.  Having gotten to like the character of 30ish Endeavor Morse, it is sad to see the person he became.  Not what I had hoped for or imagined.

But there it is.  I suspect that I am not the person that anyone would have hoped for or imagined, if they were watching my life.  Either that or the creators just missed the mark completely when they thought about the character.

No comments: