Thursday, July 11, 2019

AKA "Strip Poor Countries of Their Best and Brightest" Act

https://www.cato.org/blog/sen-pauls-believe-act-raises-skilled-migration-without-tradeoffs

As I've said before, I think we have enough people for now.  I think we need a moratorium on immigration in order to allow those here to assimilate.  The percentage of foreign born population is as high as it was 100 years ago.  In 1970 it had dropped to about 4% due to a moratorium that started in (I think) the twenties.

However, our needs aside, is it ethical to strip poor countries of their best and brightest?  Are they likely to become decent countries if we have hundreds of thousands of their motivated and smart people here?  Do I care?  Not particularly, I just wonder if the immigrationists have thought about that.

No comments: