Saturday, March 21, 2020

The Motorcycle Diaries

Rebuilding 2003 Harley Road King engine.  The flywheels shifted or went out of alignment or something.  I discovered this when the compensating sprocket in the primary started rubbing against the inside of the primary cover.  At first I thought it had come loose, but when I checked it wasn't.




Tore it all down over Christmas and sent off the cases, cylinders, and heads to my machinist in Texas (yes Texas.  He's good and reliable so you do what you have to).  I also included a set of flywheels that I had taken out of a brand new 2003 FLH when I did a stroker kit.  Less than eight miles, done before the bike was even delivered to the customer.  For the past two months my bike has looked sad.




Wednesday got the parts from the machinist and got started with the rebuild.  Unfortunately then discovered that I was missing the new cam bearings.  Turns out the cam install kit shipped separately and should be here some time this week.

It's Saturday and nothing yet but the mail is still to arrive later today.  Maybe they will be there.

Of course yesterday I remembered that I was going to replace the cam chain tensioner shoes while it was apart.  So I will have to order those today, which means another delay of days.  Sigh.  Not a well planned exercise.






1 comment:

KurtP said...

There's a rason the term "Shit happens" became a saying.
I understand completely your pain.