Wednesday, August 21, 2024

The second CBR is now running

 Cross posted from the CBR forums.

And the adventure continues. I've put about 100 miles on the 1990. Rode around the county with friends and my buddy tried to hot rod me off the line with his 2007 Harley Softail. Needless to say that didn't go well for him as I passed him doing about eighty about 100 feet down the road. 😁 Getting the hang of clamp the knees on the tank, drop the elbows to lower center of gravity and loosen push on handlebars, lean through those corners. If nothing else riding this will take me back to being a better rider. I started on sport bikes and then switched to cruisers, mostly Harley, Back then I could outride anyone on a Harley because I rode them like I rode my CBR. Time to get that back.

So what about the 1988 I hear you saying? Well...

Bought another battery. Took off the tank and airbox and hooked up my hanging gas can directly to the carb inlet line. Opened the carb drain valve for each carb and clear fuel came out unlike the greenish stuff that came out of the 1990. Just for fun, poked the go button, and it went. Ran perfectly. Moved the gas to the fuel filter inlet and fired it up again, gas came out of the fuel pump. Reconnected the fuel pump line to the carbs and fired it up again. So far so good. Clean tank so put the tank back on, added fuel, bike ran. Not sure about posting videos directly here so instead, here's the youtube link.

https://youtu.be/YnJXAZv625E

Next adventure, hopped on, put it in gear and it jumped forward about two feet and died. Thankfully it's a light bike. Clutches were stuck. Did that a couple more times to see if they'd break loose, then put it in gear and bumped it a few times. Then I did the same with the starter. The starter dragged me down the alley, trying to fire when suddenly the clutches broke loose and the bike fired. Off I went, just around the block. If I have to push it home I don't want to have to push it more than two blocks.

Back home I checked the tires and went out (a bit nervously) and put 35 miles on the bike. Seafoam in the oil, Amsoil PI in the fuel. The farther I rode, the better it ran. Only thing I don't like is that it has this gooey grease all over the rear sub-frame. You know that stuff that gets in your stove grease trap that has to be cleaned out every once in a while? Yeah, that's what it resembles. It's very odd. I tried cleaning it with Simple Green and a rag and it came off (slowly) so eventually I stopped and I'm going to break out the pressure washer and see if that will do a better job. Also, the stay plate, the one that holds the carb bank together, is quite rusty. Doesn't affect operation so I'll probably get in there with some naval jelly and a brass brush and try to clean it up a bit in-place.



So the problem now is "which to keep". My plan is to keep one, probably get rid of my 1989 which I still have never gotten to run properly. I like the 1988 paint scheme better as it just looks more classic, but the 1990 I'm just seem to enjoy riding more, not sure why. Too be fair I've only put 35 miles on this one and that was a test ride so it's not really a proper ride. Could just be that this one needs some miles put on it so I'll probably get it registered and then try to get some saddle time before the weather locks in. The 1990 has more miles (73k) than the 1988 (53k) but the '88 just doesn't seem to be in as good condition, with the rusty plate, the grease, etc. Either way, they both are going to get brake fluid and coolant flushed, fork oil and engine oil changed, and a good cleanup. That'll be relaxation projects on weekends since I'm starting a Master's Degree program in a week or so. I'm also thinking about that Nexxus exhaust. I don't like the looks of the big chrome can. I've got a Hindle on the '89 and since it's not running anyway I might swap it out.

So which would you keep? Please don't say both because I don't have room to store them (to be fair I actually do, but having six bikes in the little garage is a bit much as I'm constantly having to either climb over them or move them out) and I don't really have time to ride them all although [looks out window and thinks about early retirement]... 😊

2 comments:

John Wilder said...

Keep the one that's the better ride. That's where the joy comes from.

heresolong said...

A better suggestion that the CBR Forums contributor who suggested that if I took early retirement I could use all my extra free time to build a bigger garage to keep my bikes in. Got a good laugh, then started running the numbers. 😁