Sunday, January 2, 2022

Even God only takes a tenth

 Haven't really paid much attention to my ebay sales.  I periodically sell stuff.  I do reasonably well because I have been careful over the years to treat my buyers and sellers well, so consequently I have racked up a 100% positive rating with well over 500 reviews.  My sales have slowed up quite a bit because my job has changed, so now it tends to be here and there that I end up with something to sell.

Just sold some Harley tools however.  $240 selling price for a set of cam tools that retail for about $450.  I had an extra set and didn't have any use for two.  Since these tools pretty much can't break or wear out there was no reason to keep them around.  Listed them three or four times and finally got a buyer.

Ebay just sent me $209.58.  They took 12.58% of the sale price.  Seems a little excessive considering the millions of transactions they do and the minimal overhead costs of running a massive server farm.  I wonder what their annual profits are but don't care enough to go look it up.

I've long been wishing for an alternative given ebay's rabidly anti-gun stance but it still remains the most effective way to turn stuff I don't need into cash.  Maybe I should have listed them on one of the local sales sites like Craigslist or Offerup.  Wouldn't have cost me anything to sell and I still should have been able to get $240 for a nice set of specialty tools.

2 comments:

KurtP said...

If you do FB- put them on marketplace.
I don't know if MeWe or USA Live has something like it, or not.

heresolong said...

Lots of people tell me they use FB but I try to avoid it like the plague. I have an account so maybe that's a reasonable option. Thanks for the suggestion.