Tuesday, August 23, 2022

This Old House: Bathroom update (part 2)

Well, on Friday they finished.

I was excited to take a shower until I realized that I hadn't ordered a new shower curtain for the clawfoot tub.


Back to the yard for me.

 

 

 

 

Well, turns out that's not quite the end of the story.  The space available was pretty small so we had to do a bit of squeezing to get what I wanted.  The vanity is too close to the toilet as it turns out.  Might have been a bad choice to go for the corner toilet but I thought it would more effectively use the space.  Now I'm thinking a standard, straight-out toilet would have been better but that would involve ripping up the floor and moving the plumbing, which I'm not overly thrilled about doing.  So they will come back and move the vanity by about two inches, which is easy, and I will cross my fingers.

The light was placed based on the studs.  We were limited by an angled ceiling and aforementioned studs.  It is low enough that I can't put a mirror over the vanity without having to duck to see myself (and I'm only 5'11").  So the wall has to be opened up to rewire and figure out lighting.  Decorator is coming Thursday to look and we may switch to sconces as the other alternative is to mount the fixture above the toilet and add a mirror with built in LEDs.  We shall see.


Overall I'm super happy, still have to hang a curtain in the window but it is on the second story with no overlooking buildings so no danger of peeping Tom's right now (not that I think anyone would want to watch me shower but you just don't know anymore).  


Waiting to put in towel racks, hooks, accessory holders, etc until everything is solidly where I want it to be so that I don't trash up my nice new walls to no effect.  Also some sort of decoration with a bit of color.


4 comments:

John Wilder said...

Are you sure you don't want to re-tile that window????

heresolong said...

🙂

Anonymous said...

Looks great. And finished before winter.
--generic

heresolong said...

Finished is such an interesting word. I discovered that the light is too low and I can't hang a mirror. So had to move the light, but that meant installing a mirror with built in LED backlighting. Which meant knocking out some drywall to put an outlet behind the mirror. Which meant cutting out more drywall to pull the wire differently. Which meant trying, and failing, to install a new GFCI outlet because the instructions were upside down.

Sigh!

And the contractors still have to come back and finish the drywall and painting so that I can put up some decorations and the various accessories such as towel racks, etc.

Double sigh!