Sunday, June 16, 2024

1902 Singer 48K

1902 Singer 48K

Serial: R686637

Purchase: Morro Bay, CA auction, approx $250

Picked this up at an auction in Morro Bay, CA.  Stayed down in California for several months until a friend was recently passing through the area and was able to pick it up for me.


I just used it to make a storage bag out of some light waxed canvas I got from Joanne Fabric and this thing is wonderful to sew on.  I like the handcrank better than the treadle although to be fair, the heavy fabric meant I was able to sew with one hand.  When I needed an extra hand I just let go of the hand crank and it would swing to the bottom and stop.  I suspect that playing with the position of the crank relative to the handwheel would allow you to set where it stopped so I'll be looking into that a bit moving forward.