Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wood floor project update

Wow.  Words fail me.  I have spent the past five month or so sanding* the 1909 vintage fir floors in the back bedroom.  Fifteen minutes at a time because I don't have the patience for that kind of task.  It didn't matter how long it took because I didn't need the space.  I have a big house** and I'm the only one in it right now***.  Cliff Notes version of the project I belt sanded, then hand sanded, then wood puttied to fill the cracks, then belt sanded, then palm sanded, then hand sanded, (all at 80 grit) then hand sanded one more time (quickly) at 100 grit to smooth out the surface for the sealer.  Here's what it looked like this morning after countless hours of sanding.



Today I applied the sealer to the sanded wood.  Wow.


The project isn't quite done as I still have to apply three coats of Polyurethane to protect it, with sanding in between each coat, but I think that can be done with a rotary disc sander (which I need to track down) so that should be pretty quick; then pick up trim for the edges and paint and install that.

Worth every minute spent in my opinion.

Next up, the center bedroom/office.

* I did paint the walls and the trim as well, so that should count in my favor on my pathetically slow project completion record.

**I will admit that I'm getting tired of having a lot of stuff and boxes stacked around the edges of my bedroom.

*** on a related but unrelated note, this guy is my cousin.  http://www.helpgordyfindlove.com/.  Maybe I'll post on this independently later.

No comments: