Friday, February 13, 2015

Another one bites the dust

Or at least it's a step in the right direction.

Illinois governor signs executive order ending forced union dues for public employees.

I don't understand the mind set that so many in America have, that it is OK to require people to pay for a union they don't want.  I currently pay about $800 a year in forced dues, then get back a little over $300 since I have opted out of the union.  Here in Washington we can opt out but still have to pay collective bargaining fees to the local union (which I actually support) as well as the Washington Education Association and the National Education Association (two organizations to whom I would not voluntarily give one red cent).   I also don't have any input into the contract, including the right to vote on it. 

(Hm. I wonder if there have been any lawsuits on that.  I don't get to vote on my own contract just because I don't want to belong to the union.)

Anyway, Illinois is one step more free.  Even though public employees could have previously opted out of the union, they still had to pay hundreds to those same unions, even if they were philosophically opposed to what the unions were doing politically (check out the stats on union campaign donations).

No comments: