Saturday, October 1, 2016

The Sword of Shannara: The book v the TV show

I know, I said that my last post was the "final update".  The problem is that I started reading Elfstones of Shannara again (the book that the show was actually based on) and everything that I thought was wrong with the TV series has been reinforced. 

In the book people aren't humping like rabbits at every available opportunity, no one is raping anyone, no one is bisexual (in fact we have no idea what their sexual preferences are since Brooks doesn't bring it up, but rather focuses on the story).  There aren't, so far, piles of rusting stuff from our modern world heaped everywhere, the trolls don't wear welding glasses, etc, etc, etc.  Elven warriors aren't inept bunglers who fall over dead whenever someone looks sideways at them, the Rovers aren't gangs of predators but rather gypsy communities with little sympathy for those not of their society. 

I could go on and on but I'll stop here.

I can only assume that the creators of this TV show thought that no one would watch a show that was traditional high fantasy unless they injected lots of sex and lots of foreshadowing (aftshadowing?) about how the series is actually a post apocalyptic look at our world.  The problem is that the Shannara books have been immensely popular without any of that and injecting casual sex and unnecessary plot lines that don't add to the story, don't make the world more interesting, and don't have anything to do with the actual plot doesn't improve on the work of a fantasy master.  Not strictly a Macguffin but along those lines I suppose.

Either way I won't be watching the continuation when it comes back next season.  I would much rather have this one die a well deserved death and maybe, just maybe, someone will do it right down the road.

No comments: