Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Sword of Shannara (final update)

Made it through to the end without scratching my eyeballls out.  One last comment.

Elven warriors are possibly the most useless species in the four lands, if not on the planet.  Not once did I see an Elven warrior do anything intelligent or win a fight on any terms.  Mostly it was "run forward waving sword and get killed" or "throw down weapon and get killed" or even just "stand there on guard and get killed".  They aren't capable of closing doors if an enemy force is rushing towards them, and when they are assigned to stand guard in one case, they stand with their backs to the door they are guarding, allowing the enemy to open the door behind them and, you guessed it, kill them.

Oh, and they have stupid looking helmets that keep you from every seeing their faces so in complete violation of the Evil Overlord List so if I were trying to infiltrate the Elven kingdom I'd totally get me one of those uniforms.  Which would be easy because they are so useless.

In fact they are so useless that I can't even find a picture on the interweb to show you.

I believe this is based on the book "Elfstones of Shannara" rather than the original "Sword of Shannara" although it's been a long time since I read either.  SoS is almost unreadable it is so poorly written so I'll probably go back and try to reread EoS just to check.  Terry Brooks progressed wildly as an author after that first one.

Oh, and spoiler alert...



... the new bad guy shows that he is the new bad guy a dozen times and everyone is so oblivious that they just let him walk out, cue sequel.

No comments: