Thursday, August 17, 2017

This old garage: Drainage day finished

Day one can be found here.

The south side of the garage is (basically) done.  Connected the new pipe (I used the corrugated pipe that comes wrapped in a filter sock already) to the east and west existing ends and to the main drain line running towards the house.  Three loads of 1-1/4 clean crush and it is almost full.  I'll have to add one more load of gravel once I finish putting new gutters on the garage and connecting the downspout to the drain line but that has to wait for the garage to be painted.

Aside: a bit of frustration on the painting.  Person I asked to do that said he would wait until we had some consecutive days of nice weather so it would be good and dry.  We've now had two months of consecutive hot and dry weather and the garage isn't painted.  The last couple days have been cool with sprinkles and today is heavily clouded.  I hope it is going to be done as I don't want it to sit through another winter with exposed wood after the money and effort I put into renovating it correctly.


I'm not thrilled with where the concrete blocks meet the sidewalk because the sidewalk runs at an angle so I'll need to see if I can get a block cut somehow to fill in the join but it isn't bad and now I don't have to slog through wet grass and mud to get to my garage door.

Next, the north side.  Should actually be easier because it's a straight shot with no electrical or joins. 

When I say "easier" remember that's relative.  I'm still out there with a mattock and a shovel digging a twenty foot trench, not the type of work that I would choose as a career.

Looks like I might have to re-trench out into my yard (past the picture above).  There is a drain pipe at that end that I connected to, but the yard doesn't drain.  It didn't use to flood but now it does quite badly.  I suspect that they collapsed the old drain when they ran the natural gas piping to the house.  I will, at some point, carefully trench in that direction following the existing pipe until I find that break.  Maybe I can dig under the gas line and just have a bit of a low spot in the drainage.  Shouldn't keep it from draining as there can be a LOT of water back there in the rainy season (ie most of the year up here).

4 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

Nice work!! I am toying with the idea of extending the front-side drainage at my place down past the big pine to the fence, but I still need to deal with the hole in the pasture full of 1-1/2" natural, and the circle of terrace block...

heresolong said...

Back breaking work. There's a reason I became an engineer and then a teacher. Today, however, I started trenching out the other side of the garage. A little over half done and on Monday I'll probably pick up more gravel and start laying pipe. I can only carry a half yard in my little Toyota pickup which means a lot of trips, but it also means that I get to unload in small units, making life easier.

NotClauswitz said...

I figure since the going rate for digging down here in this rocky-hard soil and 90-degree temps is $90/hr, I better do it myself and get the exercise! Also uncovered some interesting artifacts that "sprung" up out in the field, the discovery of old clay pipe and some kind of "drain" effort. Hmmm.

heresolong said...

Wow. For $90 an hour I will do a lot of digging, although I'd think that the local odd jobs guy should be able to do it a lot less expensively with proper supervision.