Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Thoughts on an extended absence

Wow.  Got my trailer shop running, didn't buy a Viking shield as I prioritized getting out of debt, the weather got really nice, and suddenly I haven't posted since April 23rd, over three weeks ago.

So a couple thoughts that I've jotted down over the past few weeks.

Is saying okay cultural appropriation if you aren't Choktaw?

Can we all agree that if someone asks for information via email that you SHOULDN"T Reply to All since everyone on the list doesn't need to know if you are planning on attending this year's graduation, but that if someone asks your opinion on a particular topic within your organization you SHOULD Reply to All since everyone needs to know what the feelings are on that topic?  Basic email etiquette.

5th Edition D&D is actually more confusing, in my opinion, than 2nd Edition D&D, which everyone said was confusing.  I never had any issue with it, but now I can't figure out, based on my close reading of the rulebooks, exactly what people have to roll for various tasks.  It seems that I have to assign a difficulty level to every task and that they have to beat that difficulty level.  5 is easy, which means that they have to roll greater than a 5 (modified) to accomplish it.  30 is almost impossible.  But then that changes for saving throws.  They appear to be a "roll less than" just like in 2nd Edition, but with all the modifiers in 5th Edition it seems almost impossible to fail most saving throws.  Maybe it will become more clear as I start to play but I've been running a fill in campaign for the club at school when their DM doesn't show up and I've just been sort of fudging it since I'm confused.  Hopefully they don't read my blog.

Why are we now registering people to vote at age 16 but they can't buy a gun until they are 21?  They are responsible enough to decide who runs things but not responsible enough to defend themselves against attack?  If they can't be trusted with a gun, how can they be trusted to decide who should have a gun?

Seattle Times headline: "NRA money raining down on Washington".  This for a story that the NRA has spent approximately $200,000 on state political races in the past five years, about $40,000 a year.  Don't tell me that news outlets aren't biased with this headline.  A single SEIU local in Washington state improperly reported $1.4 million in political expenditures.  Just one local.

Interested in ALICE training. Not sure where I saw this, it may have been over on View from the Porch but it's been a couple weeks and now I can't remember.  Go there anyway.  She's funny.  And informative.

Okeh.  Got to go make lunch and get to work.

No comments: