Monday, January 20, 2020

Gratuitous motorcycle picture for NotClauswitz

Oddly and annoyingly, I must have been so excited about getting my Fatboy back on the road that I posted neither details nor pictures.  I need a pic for someone so here is the LHS from before the accident and the RHS in my garage right now.

A couple quick points.

1) $2500 quote to replicate my artwork on the smashed RHS tank.  If it's good enough for the Steelers it's good enough for me.  Logo on one side only now as we were able to save the LHS tank.

2) Powdercoated the frame and swingarm because they looked like crap after the frame work was done (well the frame looked like crap, the swingarm looked old and junky after I powdercoated the frame).

3) I pretty much put it back the way it was.  I had thought about leaving it stripped down, without bags or windshield, but then the Road King needed an engine rebuild so this became my go to bike.  Stripped down was way more fun when I was 25.

4) The drip pan is because in spite of a brand-new OEM still-in-the-original-box major-score-because-they-have-been-discontinued-for-about-twenty-years primary cover, I still have a very small primary oil leak.  You can keep your jokes about leaking Harley's to yourself.

The point of the pictures, by the way, is to show that you can swap out the exhaust and put proper saddlebags on a Fatboy.







2 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

Hi and Thanks! Got my extended heel-toe shifter yesterday and the extended brake pedal-arm with it. Shiny! May roll around on the garage floor trying to get them hooked up since it's not too cold today.
Like the header-wrap on you FatBoy, and the S&S air-cleaner. I think I need some bars like that since the buck-horn style is a bit of a wrist-twister with the angle is a bit off IMHO, and I can also appreciate the windshield. So far I'm ok without one but the difference when touring is substantial. My bike came with a similar passenger-bar and pad, and a circular bit of soft luggage too!
The bags I was thinking of are the hard-case type since I adapted to that on the R1100R...

heresolong said...

The S&S air cleaner covers and S&S carburetor. I pulled off the stock years ago and pumped this one up a bit.

The header wrap was inspired by a WWII custom build Fatboy that I saw in a calendar. His was even cooler than mine, but I stole just the one bit. I also didn't have heat shields for the Pythons so needed something to insulate a little.

The roll bag was added after the rebuild, but before I put the saddlebags back on. Now it's a convenient place to keep it while I continue to sort the garage.

As far as hardbags go, choose wisely. There are some really crappy kits out there. There are also some very nice quick detach setups where you unlock a cam lock and slide the bags backwards to remove. Hardbags should be supported at the bottom and not just hang from the two top mounting points so then you need a system with a complete rack.

Too bad you don't live closer. :-)