Monday, February 17, 2020

Movie review - Jumanji: The Next Level

I don't normally go to the theater, I also don't often review movies, but figured since I did one I might as well do the other.

Took my niece at college to dinner and a movie since I was in her town.  We chose Jumanji as a neutral offering.    She rarely watches TV or movies as my sister hasn't had a TV in years.

She had, however, seen the original with Robin Williams.  This is important.  I will also refer to the original as "original" and the next one as "Episode 2" since it wasn't actually a remake but a sequel.

My observations, followed by hers.

1) Lots of swearing.  I don't remember this from Episode 2.

2) Somewhat incoherent and rushed.  I had some struggles following what was happening.  Things seemed to just fall into place when they needed to and plot elements were added for no apparent reason other than to make it more "exciting".

3) The overacting by some of the characters was painful.  Jack Black, brilliant in the first, seemed to be going overboard to make his character work.  The exceptions were Kevin Hart, outstanding when playing the slow talking Milo; and Awkwafina, who plays Ming perfectly as the avatar of Spencer.

Her's.

1) She hadn't seen the second movie so frequently had idea what was going on or why things were supposed to be funny.

2) There was lots of swearing.

I'd say that I'd give the original and the second Jumanji 5/5 within their category and style of film.  This one might be 3/5 but only because a movie has to be practically unwatchable to get 2/5.  I'd suspect that my niece would have given it a 2.5 if that were a thing.  

Overall I'd rate it as "could have been so much better" considering the first two.

No comments: