Saturday, November 7, 2020

Spending less while not changing your lifestyle

 Just drifted over to Mr. Money Mustache via a link from Weka's blog.  The discussion from Weka was about how to reduce food spending.  Interesting stuff although I am neither vegetarian nor vegan.  Did vegetarian for about five years in the 90s but didn't care for it for a variety of reasons.  I, however, spend a lot of money on food and figured that maybe it was time to start figuring out ways to reduce that in general WITHOUT significantly reducing my standard of living.  I left a comment on the thread over there but then, as occasionally happens, decided that my comment needed to be over here as well.

<comment>

After reading this, however, I'm going to start keeping MUCH better track of my grocery spending and start figuring out ways to cut back.  I am single and a good cook, I generally eat well.  I spend a fair amount of money on good wine (more than food?  We shall see.)  I haven't kept track of my spending at all however.  I can go into Quicken and look, but "the grocery store" doesn't necessarily mean "groceries" these days.  Started with yesterday's trip to the store to pick up some staples for last night's dinner (steak enchiladas).  Will be keeping track using a free app I grabbed at random off Google Play and then we'll see where it goes from there.  My tips would be:


1) Costco: relatively inexpensive lamb, pork loin that you can slice into chops, bulk meat for freezing as well as large blocks of cheese at significantly less than the grocery store.  I don't drink a lot of milk and when I do (rarely) eat bread I usually make it myself.


2) Instapot: slow cooked food that you can make after work instead of at 5 am as you are getting ready to go


3) plan your meals a week at a time, something I did for a while and then stopped due to inertia


If you want good, kitchen tested recipes check out my recipe blog (kept for my own reference mainly) at http://heresolong.blogspot.com.  The blog is called An Egg Without Salt and I post up any new recipes I try so that I can find them when I'm not in my own kitchen (or when I can't remember where I found a particular recipe in my books).


Plan: 1) keep track of spending; 2) go back to planning a week's worth of menus at a time;  3) collect underpants;  4) ???; 5) profit 

2 comments:

John Wilder said...

I tried to explain to the family that you could have a meal at McDonalds or a pound of steak at home.

Me? I'd take the steak at home every time.

heresolong said...

Yes. Fortunately I don't have to explain to anyone but myself.