Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Waffle iron update

 It's been a long time, but that's because I decided that there was a limit to the number of waffle irons that one person could reasonably have.  I know, sounds a little crazy looking back on that decision, but six was enough.  I'd even gotten rid of one, rehoming a square GE waffle iron because a) I had too many, 2) it had come to me for free and just never really settled in as a part of the family and iii) who really wants to eat square waffles, I mean seriously.  So anyway, six waffle irons.  Each with either a personal story or just really cool.

I moved on.  Because if six waffle irons is enough, then I can collect a few of something else.  Oops.  Click the button for sewing machines at the top of the page.  That's just a small sample.  Too be fair, there's a lot more variety in sewing machines, plus you have different tables and cabinets, plus transverse shuttle, vibrating shuttle, oscillating, rotary, well I could go on but I can tell that I'm losing you.

So what's this about a waffle iron update?

Just around the corner lives an old widower (can I say old?  My mum doesn't like the word, she prefers older.)  OK.  Just around the corner lives an older gentleman who is a widower.  He walks his dog pretty regularly so we have chatted.  A few months ago he was clearing out some stuff and I bought a Singer 28 handcrank that had belonged to his wife.  You can read about it here.  One of these days I'm going to clean it up a bit and give it a new coat of shellac, just to preserve it for the next 112 years.

I'm headed out a couple weeks ago on the bike and who should be sitting out in his driveway with a table but same fellow.  I stop to say hi and "a waffle iron".  OK, I'm going to buy that.  He only wanted $10 so I gave him the money so no one else would grab it while I wandered next door to look at their sale, which had nothing of interest.

So what does $10 get you?  A Royal Rochester with the Red Poppy design.  Dated from the late 20s to early 30s (just like most interesting waffle irons).  Didn't have a power cord but those are readily available from the local hardware store so I already have one.  Haven't tried it out yet but one of these weekends it will be waffle time.


Turns out they made a lot of accessories with this particular design.  Coffeepot, cream and sugar, syrup jug, waffle warmer.  I'm going to chat with the neighbor to ask if he remembers having any of them, if not I may do a little ebay shopping as I'm thinking this would be a fun set to have.  Not sure if I'd get everything, probably just the syrup and cream and sugar.  I don't entertain a lot so having a bunch of extra stuff that wouldn't ever get used might not be a great investment.

2 comments:

John Wilder said...

Wow! Hadn't seen that in 40 years! Grandma McWilder had one (without design).

heresolong said...

The porcelain inserts were pretty fancy. My grandmother and my mother both had metal tops (both of which I still have in my collection).