Sunday, September 10, 2023

My first motorcycle

 With hesitation from my mother and support from my father, he and I went to the Department of Motor Vehicles and got Learner's Permits to ride a motorcycle.  I would have been 17 or 18, so 1982ish.  I bought the bike pictured below for $850.  Paid too much, it never really ran right, one time when I got it running the RHS mirror fell off when I got to 50 mph, I had to push it all the way back up the hill by our house when it wouldn't jump start by the time I got to the bottom, sold it for $300 when I left to join the Navy.

Looking back it was only 9 years old so it can't have been cared for very well to be in such horrible shape but I didn't grow up working on vehicles.  My dad was a firm believer in the philosophy that you do what you are good at and pay others to do what they are good at.  So we never worked on cars together.  When I got a bike, I had no idea what I was doing.  Youtube was not a thing.


Anyway, this popped up on FB Marketplace this morning and brought back memories.  That was the year, the bike, the color.  I'm not going to buy it.  I have no use for a 350cc street bike and my garage is already full enough with four other bikes.  But it's fun to look at the picture.



3 comments:

Wayne Wilson said...

Back in 1970 , couple of friends bought one each. $450 brand new at Lodi honda.

heresolong said...

Now I feel even more ripped off. 😊

NotClauswitz said...

Classic UJM!