Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Continuing Adventures of "Waffle Iron"

Browsing the internet one day (or possibly over the course of several days) and I found a website called Toaster Central. These guys ROCK! All they do is refurbish old small kitchen appliances. As you may or may not know, I have several antique waffle irons. The first waffle iron I ever owned belonged to my grandmother and was made, according to my research, in the Late 20s - Early 30s. Needless to say it was not in the greatest condition. The first waffle generally stuck, it looked quite hideous, and one had to wonder about the eighty year old wiring.

Off to Toaster Central it went. For about $100 they stripped it down, rewired the whole thing, polished everything until it shone like new, and provided a new power cord, as well as a copy of the original owner's manual, instructions on seasoning the grid, and a brochure with a variety of classic waffle recipes.

Here are before and after pictures.


I couldn't be happier. I was hoping to send my Great Aunt Mary's to them but they said they can't work on it. I guess they won't do them unless they can find factory manuals for various specifications. If you are reading this and you have a box full of Electrahot factory manuals, please give the guys at Toaster Central a call. Then let me know so I can ship them a waffle iron.

No comments: