Sunday, August 27, 2017

ebay etiquette (ebiquette?)

Had a fellow contact me about a motorcycle part I have listed.  It was up for $100 starting bid and had about three days left to go.  Wanted to know if I would sell it to him immediately for $100 (a Buy it Now for those of you familiar with ebay).  I agreed and told him that I would change the listing to allow it.

Now, in order to have a Buy it Now price of $100, the bid price has to be less.  Ebay's policy is that the BIN price must be at least 30% higher than the starting bid.  This has never been a problem in the past.  I set the BIN price to the agreed upon amount, lower the starting bid to whatever it needs to be to allow the BIN, and the buyer purchases the item.

This jackass then puts in a bid for the lower price.  When I cancelled his bid and emailed him about it he got all butt hurt and claimed that if I was going to lower the price why shouldn't he take advantage of the lowered price.  I explained in my response why the price had been lowered (see above) and suggested that if he still wanted to BIN he could, at the price he had offered.  His response "apparently you'll sell it to anyone else for less but not to me.  I'll just find one somewhere else."

Like I said.  Jackass.  Twenty years of selling stuff on ebay and this may be the most annoying buyer I've encountered.

I blocked him.

No comments: