Sunday, August 20, 2017

New addition to the family

of waffle irons, of course.

The waffle iron collection continues apace.   You can read the history here, and here, and here.

Recently, through a cousin, I acquired the iron of my aunt and uncle (older on my father's side).  Been sitting for a bit as I don't generally eat carbs anymore, but this morning, I wanted a waffle.  Or two.

The new iron is a Universal (Landers, Frary & Clark) E9364 which is the Marie Antoinette pattern.  They were made during the late 20s and early 30s.  Not particularly rare but I collect for personal interest, not for investment.


This is a nice waffle iron which needs some serious cleaning but the second waffle out was perfect (the first was a bit overdone but that's a part of finding the correct timing plus the fact that it had been sitting for some presumably large number of years and needed the conditioning).  



This iron only takes about four minutes versus the five minutes of most of my other irons so it may run a bit hot.

What is most interesting about this particular waffle iron is the temperature indicator.  A little tab pops out by the handle to tell you when the iron is at the correct temperature.  Very ingenious.



Anyway, there it is.  The latest addition to the collection.  I figure that maybe, someday, people in the younger generation might want their (great?) grandparents antique waffle iron and they will be sitting here, cleaned up and operational, ready to go back to the family.

Cleaning.  That's a post for another day.  I need to look into lye baths.  That's how Toaster Central did them when I sent in my grandmother's but they also re-wired the whole thing and I'm not sure what the lye does to the wiring.  TC doesn't do waffle irons anymore so I have to do a bit of digging and figure out

No comments: